Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Rick Reece Teaches Mr. MacLean about Web Page Styles

Rick Reece's session had participants from 5 different countries, including Turkey (Wow...I thought I travelled a long way).

The main idea of the workshop is how to design pages using styles rather than tables...Oh no...I had always used tables so I had to be a fearless learner.

Rick gave us an opportunity to play with a raw web page that just had data. We learnt how to move things around using what is called "div" tags. It was actually way easier than I thought it would be. I also learnt that this is a much cleaner way to organize your web pages because "styles" allow you to change the appearance of sections of the web page rather than specific items. In addition, the coolest thing I learnt was how to use Absolute Positioning Divisions. This allows you to put an image or text anyplace on your web page and then no matter the browser people use, the image will stay in the place you want it to, even if you layer it over another image.

The most important thing that I learnt was to organize your data for your web page before hand and just enter the data, then use the styles to make the appearance you want to. The trick for me now, is to figure out how to use integrate this information into our current web page formats.

A special note for Mrs. Schwarz: I have linked this BLOG to the front page of our website

Rick has been kind enough to post the handouts that we worked with on his web page starting Feb 1st, 2008

1 comment:

David Truss said...

My new Obi Wan Kanobi... I will be looking to you, Master Dave, for some CSS help when you return to our coast... Keep the updates coming:-)